Welcome to the inaugural Blackwater Triathlon Club Olympic distance event which begins at 9 o’clock on Sunday August 11th 2019. Below is a map outlining the Venue Layout and Facilities and where to register. Click the top left icon to activate the side bar and customise your view. Please view this as there has been some major changes to the course this year.
Transition will be open from 7am – 8:30am. Only competitors can access the transition area. The transition area will be neutralised to avoid a situation where competitors will have an advantage depending on location of their bikes. For the comfort of all competitors, bags and crates are not allowed in the transition area. After you have set up in transition, please leave your bags in allocated area just outside transition. Please exercise courtesy towards your fellow competitors and keep your transition area tidy, not blocking the transition space of another competitor.
- Exit water and follow pathway to transition.
- Helmets must be fastened before competitors remove bikes from the racks.
- Competitors should exit transition through the Cycle Exit and follow marshals’ directions. Do not mount bike until you exit the transition area and reach the clearly marked mount/ dismount point.
- It is advised that competitors wear the race number on the front and back of your racing top. If you are in a relay team or wearing a race belt, please ensure that a number is visible on your back during the cycle and on your front during the run.
- Dismount the bike at the dismount line when instructed by marshals. Helmets must be fastened before competitors rack the bike.
- Follow path to transition.
- Exit T2 where indicated for the run exit.
NB – Roads are open for both the bike and run route. Rules of the roads apply. Any competitor crossing the white line or centre of the road WILL be disqualified. Competitors deemed to be cycling dangerously or without consideration to others will be disqualified or penalised by race marshals. Please obey Gardai and marshals at all times.
Cycle and Run Routes
ALL COMPETITORS MUST PRODUCE A VALID TRIATHLON IRELAND RACING LICENSE MEMBERSHIP CARD WITH PHOTO ATTACHED TO BE ALLOWED TO RACE. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A FULL, STUDENT OR JUNIOR MEMBERSHIP CARD, YOU MUST PRE-PURCHASE A ONE DAY LICENSE THROUGH THE TRIATHLON IRELAND WEBSITE (www.triathlonireland.com) BY MIDNIGHT ON THURSDAY 10TH AUGUST. ODLS CANNOT BE PURCHASED AT REGISTRATION.
What is Drafting?
This is a non-drafting race. Full details of the drafting rules can be found in the Triathlon Ireland Manual of Guidance (www.triathlonireland.ie). Motorbike draft marshals will be on the bike course and the draft marshals’ decision is final. No warnings will be given. Drafting is the term to describe the act of taking shelter behind or beside another competitor or vehicle, within the “Draft Zone” during the cycling segment.
• Competitors are not allowed to Draft and all competitors must reject any attempt by others to draft. A competitor who does not clearly avoid violating the drafting rules will receive a time penalty which will be outlined by the race referee at the race briefing.
• In brief, the “Draft Zone” is a rectangle surrounding every competitor that is 3 metres wide and extends to 10 metres behind the front wheel of the competitor’s bicycle. The front edge of the front bicycle wheel will define the centre of the leading 3-metre edge of the rectangle.
• A competitor may enter the draft zone but must be seen to be making forward progress. A maximum of 15 seconds will be allowed for a competitor to pass through the draft zone.
• The draft zone of one competitor may not overlap the draft zone of another competitor.
A competitor is overtaken when the front wheel of another competitor’s bicycle is ahead of theirs. It is then his/her responsibility to drop out of the draft zone, either sideways, or by dropping back.